Bhagavatula Moorthy, Ph.D.
- Professor of Pediatrics—Neonatology
Current Positions in Professional Organizations
- Member, Xenobiotic, Nutrition, Disposition, and Action Study Section, NIH (2005-2009)
- President, Gulf coast Chapter of the Society of Toxicology
- Ph.D., Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India, 1988
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Biochemistry, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee WI, 1988–1990
- Research Associate, Department of Pharmacology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston TX, 1990–1991
- Molecular mechanisms of lung injury induced by hyperoxia
- Molecular regulation of hepatic and pulmonary cytochrome P4501A expression by oxygen, and the role of CYP1A enzymes in oxygen toxicity
- Regulation of CYP1A enzymes by polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, in relation to chemical carcinogenesis
- Mechanisms of formation and repair of exogenous and endogenous DNA adducts, and their role in carcinogenesis and oxygen toxicity
- Couroucli XI, Liang YH, Jiang W, Wang L, Barrios R, Yang P, Moorthy B. Prenatal administration of the cytochrome P4501A inducer, B-naphthoflavone (BNF), attenuates hyperoxic lung injury in newborn mice: implications for bronchopulmonary dysplasia (BPD) in premature infants. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2011 Oct 15;256(2):83-94. Epub 2011 Jun 26.
- Fazili IS, Jiang W, Wang L, Felix EA, Khatlani T, Coumoul X, Barouki R, Moorthy B. Persistent induction of cytochrome P4501A1 in human hepatoma cells by 3-methylcholanthrene: evidence for sustained transcriptional activation of the CYP1A1 promoter. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2010 Apr;333(1):99-109. Epub 2010 Jan 5.
- Jiang W, Couroucli XI, Wang L, Barrios R, Moorthy B. Augmented oxygen-mediated transcriptional activation of cytochrome P450 (CYP)1A expression and increased susceptibilities to hyperoxic lung injury in transgenic mice carrying the human CYP1A1 or mouse 1A2 promoter in vivo. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2011 Apr 1;407(1):79-85. Epub 2011 Mar 6.
- Jiang W, Wang L, Kondraganti SR, Fazili IS, Couroucli XI, Felix EA, Moorthy B. Disruption of the gene for CYP1A2, which is expressed primarily in liver, leads to differential regulation of hepatic and pulmonary mouse CYP1A1 expression and augmented human CYP1A1 transcriptional activation in response to 3-methylcholanthrene in vivo. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2010 Nov;335(2):369-79. Epub 2010 Aug 23.
- Jiang W, Wang L, Zhang W, Coffee R, Fazili IS, Moorthy B. Persistent induction of cytochrome P450 (CYP)1A enzymes by 3-methylcholanthrene in vivo in mice is mediated by sustained transcriptional activation of the corresponding promoters. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009 Dec 25;390(4):1419-24. Epub 2009 Nov 11.